How to Transfer Your Number Plate to Another Vehicle

By CarsFellow 5 Min Read

So you have got the vehicle you wanted, now you want to personalise it with a different number plate. Perhaps you have seen one being sold by a private dealer (a lot of private dealers will complete the transfer for you),or you have seen one on the DVLA site, whichever it is there are a few things that you must do, to stay on the right side of the law. You need to check that the number you want to use is not currently being used, this is where you can ‘apply to assign it’ (put it on) to your vehicle.

Firstly, the vehicle must be registered with the DVLA in the UK

It must have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the last five years,
It has to be a vehicle that can move under its own power and needs to have an MOT – or in the case of a Heavy Goods Vehicle a test certificate.

It also must be available for inspection – should the DVLA decide they want to inspect it, they will notify you if they want to inspect the vehicle.

You can apply online or by post (if the vehicle is not in your name you must apply by post), you have to have the vehicles logbook (V5C), and the cost (at present), £80.00

You cannot keep a number that starts with ‘NIQ’ or ‘Q’

To apply for a transfer is not difficult, just take each step at a time, and if it helps, print this off and use as a check sheet, ticking each one off as you complete it. You can put the number plate on another vehicle as soon as you have applied to take it off – use the reference number you get once you have applied.

You will have to send the following to the DVLA:

The vehicles logbook (V5C) or the “new keeper green slip” with the V62 form completed
You will have to send of the £80.00 transfer fee.

After you have taken off a private number you will be sent:

A new V5C (logbook) this will show the new registration number – this might take a few weeks to arrive. You will receive your original MOT back (if you sent it in to tax the vehicle at the same time) A retention document (V778) if the private number is in your name – if it is in someone else’s name then this document will be sent to them.

You might think, that is all there is to do – not quite:

You MUST tell your insurance company the new registration numberand put the new number plates on the vehicle before you take it out on the road. If you should decide to move and change your address, or change your name, then you have to inform the DVLA, you can go online and download V750 or V778 but if you are changing your name you have to send proof e.g marriage certificate, a deed poll to show you have changed your name legally, or a decree nisi or absolute from your divorce.

You must renew your right to use your personalised (private) number every 10 years if it’s not being used on a vehicle – you should get a reminder by letter or email and it is getting close to running out.

It is a lot to remember, but by being methodical you can transfer you number plate to another vehicle.

To access the forms that have been mentioned you can go online to:

Or if you’re looking to purchase a new number plate or sell your current one, you can visit a website such as

Share This Article
Cars Fellow create well researched and thoughtful automotive stories, news, and reviews.
Leave a comment