A spark plug is a device or a component in your car which is present there for delivering current from the ignition system to the combustion chamber of the engine.
It is used to ignite the compressed air or fuel by an electric spark while the pressure of combustion is in the engine. The whole purpose of the spark plug is to provide the ignition required to start the car. It is a very complex piece of equipment and consists of many parts.
Parts of the Spark Plug
- The terminal is a part of the spark plug which is on the top and connects the spark plug directly to the ignition system of the vehicle
- The insulator is a non-metal casing made from sintered alumina, which surrounds the spark plug in a hexagonal shape. Just like the name implies, the insulator is used to provide insulation for the electrode. The insulator has a very high dielectric power. It also provides mechanical support and excellent heat conduction.
- The most vital part of the insulator is the insulator tip. It determines the working temperature, heat range, and changes the build-up rate of the spark plug. It also provides shock resistance to the engine at higher temperatures.
- This part of the spark plug known as ribs prevents electrical energy from leaking and also provides excellent electrical insulation. This part resembles a lot like the human rib cage hence given the name “ribs.”
- Seals that are present on the top and bottom of the spark plug make sure that there is no oil leakage from the valve or cylinder. If the oil reaches the spark plug, it can cause severe damage to the engine and ignition system.
- The center or central electrode is a thick wire within the spark plug; it is used to conduct electricity from the spark plug to the electrode gap, which is present at the end of the spark plug.
- Spark plug gap is the point is where the magic happens. It utilizes the electrical energy and discharges the spark required for ignition.
- The shell of the jacket removes the heat from the insulator, and it also resists the torque produced in the plug.
- The side electrode is thick and short wire made of nickel alloy; it is connected to the shell and creates the gap which allows the sparks to jump across.
There are many different spark plugs in the market, but which one of them is the best for your car?
Here’s a list of of the best spark plugs out there
|Best Spark Plugs For Your Car||Links|
|NGK 6619 Iridium Spark Plugs LFR6AIX (Premium Pick)||Check Price|
|DENSO 4504 PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug (Best Choice)||Check Price|
|NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power||Check Price|
|Champion RE14MCC4 (570) Copper plus||Check Price|
|Bosch 4417 Platinum+4 FGR7DQP Spark Plug||Check Price|
|NGK 7092 BKR6EGP G-Power Spark Plug (Best Value)||Check Price|
|DENSO 5304 IK20 Iridium Power Spark Plug||Check Price|
|Bosch 9652 Double Iridium Spark Plug||Check Price|
|NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug||Check Price|
|Autolite APP104 Double Platinum Spark Plug||Check Price|
NGK 6619 Iridium Spark Plugs LFR6AIX
Iridium spark plugs are, without a doubt the best spark plugs out there. Iridium spark plugs are mostly used in high-performance vehicles and are considered the most efficient spark plugs. They are a bit expensive compared to the rest of the spark plugs but are worth it.
Iridium spark plugs cost around eight bucks to fifteen bucks. They come in a pack of 6 so from an economic point of view iridium spark plugs are the best option. It is a very active spark plug, which is made of premium materials and gives a longer life span than other cheaper spark plugs.
Iridium spark plugs are manufactured by NGK, which is a company based in Japan. It was established in 1936 and is known for producing spark plugs and ceramics.
The NGK 6619 iridium spark plug is the plug to go for; its model number is LFR6AIX; it weighs around 11.05 oz. Now the pros and cons of the spark plug which will hopefully help you decide which one to go for.
- The NGK 6619 iridium spark plug comes in a multipack, which is quite beneficial.
- It is made of premium materials, which means that it’ll have a longer life span and will profoundly improve the engine’s performance.
- NGK iridium spark plugs are the most expensive spark plugs in the market.
DENSO 4504 PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug
The best spark plug is the NKG iridium, but it is costly, which makes it a problem for some buyers because they want a cheaper product.
The DENSO platinum constructed spark plugs are also great spark plugs but not as good as the NKG iridium. Well, there is no significant performance difference between the two; the NGK has a longer lifespan and a slightly better quality.
It introduces twin tip platinum construction and has an 11mm platinum center electrode and an 11mm titanium ground electrode. DENSOSparkPlugs are specifically designed for generators and are great for vehicles too. It is the best product in its price range as the features it provides are excellent.
DENSO Corporation is also an automotive manufacturer based in Japan. It is one of the largest automotive components manufacturer in the world. It was founded as NIPPON DENSO Corporation Ltd. in 1949. The company used to be owned by Toyota motors till 1949, still to this day, 25 % of the company is owned by Toyota motors.
The model number for the Denso spark plug is PK20TT; it weighs around 1.44 oz
- Twin tip technology
- It has a purified alumina powder insulator, which provides dielectric strength and exceptional thermal conductivity.
- It is made of very durable material, allowing it to stand up to extreme stress and torque.
- It is very cheap, and the price is very reasonable. The price is around 4 dollars to 6 dollars.
- It has a single plug, and an 11mm electrode which is a bit thicker than the wire is supposed to be.
NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power
This spark plug shares a lot of similarities with the NGK 6619 iridium spark plug. It supplies the performance of the iridium spark plugs at a lower price, but it does not replicate the performance of the NGK 6619 iridium spark plug.
The NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power is platinum constructed. The platinum is present only on the electrode tip. The electrode is thin in the NGK 7090; it’s about 0.66 mm. The tip of the wire is laser welded. It does not affect the performance and improves the performance of the ignition system. It is an above-average product with a reasonable price tag, and it comes in a pack of four.
It is also produced by NGK, which is already known for producing premium spark plugs.
The NGK 7090 weighs around 1 lb, and the model number is 7090-4PK.
- The NGK 7709 BKR5EGP G-Power spark plug has a 0.66 mm laser welded platinum tip, which reduces the required voltage and gives higher durability and a stable spark.
- It has a metal plating which offers excellent anti-corrosion properties and protects the spark plug from corrosive damage.
- The spark plug has a triple gasket seal, which prevents gas leakage.
- The pure alumina insulator provides better heat transfer and reliable durability.
- It comes in a pack of four, with an individual price of almost 5 dollars.
- The only con this spark plug has is the platinum being on the tip of the electrode.
Champion RE14MCC4 (570) Copper Plus
It is one of the cheapest spark plugs in the market, and nothing is fascinating about this spark plug other than its lower price tag. It has a copper constructed core with built-in resistance to corrosion and is a substantial spark plug. The Champion RE13MCC4 has a long life span and is built to last
Champion is an American automotive components manufacturer. Federal-Mogul Corporation owns it. The company was founded in 1908.
The model number of this spark plug is 570, and it weighs around 0.8oz. It also has a copper tip and a built-in corrosion resistance.
- The copper electrode balances the heat range and keeps it under control, which gives the spark plug a longer life.
- The ultra-seal coated metal jacket provides built-in corrosion resistance.
- It has a low price.
- Older model cars perform exceptionally well with copper components and the Champion RE14MCC4 (570) Plus provider’s just that with its copper constructed core.
- The copper constructed core is the only con
Bosch 4417 Platinum+4 FGR7DQP Spark Plug
The Bosch 4417 platinum +4 FGR7DQP spark plug has a unique design. It has four yttrium-enhanced electrodes ground electrodes instead of the single electrode found in most of the other spark plugs. It provides the most powerful spark for excellent engine performance.
It is effortless to install. You just have to plug it in, and it requires no further installation. It also comes at a reasonable price tag.
Bosch is a German engineering company which was founded by Robbert Bosch in 1886. Bosch manufactures electrical goods and has quite a reputation for making premium quality products.
The model number is 4477, and it weighs around 0.32 oz.
- It is effortless to install, and it doesn’t require any adjustment.
- The yttrium alloy ground electrodes reduce gap wear and oxidation for extended performance life.
- The Bosch 4417 platinum+4 FGR7DQP Spark Plug delivers a powerful spark.
- The single plug is the only shortcoming.
NGK 7092 BKR6EGP G-Power Spark Plug
The NGK BKR6EGP G-Power is another high performing spark plug that has a laser-welded tip and has a thin electrode. The 0.6 mm tip enhances the performance of the vehicle. These spark plugs also come at a very reasonable price of almost 5 dollars.
The NGK 7092 BKR6EGP provides a consistent and stable spark. The NGK G-Power Platinum spark plugs offer higher performance with improved fuel efficiency and quicker starts.
NGK also manufactures this spark plug.
The Model number is NGK7092 and weighs around 1.92 oz
- The NGK BKR6EGP has a very high durability
- It also improves throttle response and prevents rotting
- The platinum constructed body and tin tip enhance the engine’s performance
- The single platinum electrode and the single plug is the only con.
DENSO 5304 IK20 Iridium Power Spark Plug
The second most expensive spark plug on the list, the Denso 5304 Ik20 Iridium power spark plug, uses the most premium spark plug material which is Iridium which explains the high price. It is Iridium constructed and has a very thin electrode.
The 0.66 mm electrode improves the engine performance because we know thinner electrodes provide better performance. The DENSO 5304 has the thinnest electrode in the world, and it maximizes igniting power.
A 360-degree welding process welds the tip of this spark plug. The Iridium Power uses the ground electrode to achieve the highest ignitability while reducing the required voltage.
This spark plug is also manufactured by DENSO.
The model number of this spark plug is IK20, and it weighs around 1.76 ounces. DENS7 is the OEM part number.
- The DENSO 5304 IK20 is one of the premium spark plugs and is of the highest quality.
- It uses 360-degree laser construction, ensuring its durability and quality.
- The higher price is the only con
BOSCH 9652 Double Iridium Spark Plug
The BOSCH 9652 Double Iridium Spark Plug is the top of the line, the most premium spark plug out there. It uses a lot of Iridium in its construction. The electrode and the tip are both made from Iridium which is the best spark plug material.
It uses the Iridium and gives the ultimate performance. It has a 0.66mm electrode and uses wire of the finest quality which provides the best ignition and overall performance. The BOSCH 9652 has a long lifespan. The company also provides a seven-year performance warranty.
This spark plug is the best you can get, and the high price is worth it because of the seven-year warranty. The BOSCH 9652 Double Iridium Spark Plug is also mostly used in high-performance vehicles or sports cars. The 360-degree welding process also constructs it.
BOSCH or Robert BOSCH GmbH are the manufacturers of this spark plug.
The model number is 9652, and the spark plug weighs around 0.8 ounces. The OEM number is 9652 as well.
- The BOSCH 9652 Double Iridium Spark Plugs provides by far the best spark plug in terms of performance and quality.
- This spark plug offers the longest life span, which is four times greater than that of a standard copper spark plug alongside a staggering seven years performance warranty.
- The BOSCH 9652 is Iridium constructed and provides the best performance.
- It is expensive if not the most expensive;
NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug
Another spark plug that is designed for high-performance vehicles and has a thin 0.66mm electrode which, as we know, provides better performance. The NGK Iridium IX spark plug is specially designed for providing better performance.
It offers excellent ignition and prevents fouling; it also helps improve throttle response. There are corrugated ribs present on the insulator which prevent flashover. The copper core removes the heat giving the spark plug superior anti-corrosive properties.
It is perfect for high-performance engines as the Iridium alloys have a higher freezing and melting point which increases the durability of the spark plug.
It weighs around 1.6 oz, and the model number is 5464-4PK.
- It utilizes Iridium and works excellent for high-performance vehicles.
- It also has a trivalent metal jacket which protects it from damage.
- The triple gasket can eliminate combustion gas leakage.
- It is a bit expensive
Autolite APP104 Double Platinum Spark Plug
The Autolite APP104 spark plug is an average spark plug for regular cars. It is designed for everyday use in normal cars and will perform quite well if the vehicle is driven normally. It has full of platinum tips that prevent erosion.
The Autolite APP104 Double platinum spark plugs have a copper core electrode and a nickel side electrode. It offers quite the fuel average.
Autolite is an American brand that was founded in 1911. Their main line of products is spark plugs and ignition sets.
It weighs around 6.4 oz, and the model number is APP104.
- It has a very reasonable price and is quite affordable
- It is an excellent spark plug for everyday routine use
- The design is durable and is made to stand
- The only problem with this spark is that it is too ordinary, and there is nothing about the spark plug or a feature that ought to make it stand out.
Best Spark Plug Buying Guide
The spark plugs mentioned above are some of the best spark plugs in the market, but which one is the one or which one to go for.
To decide that we need to dive a bit deep, The spark plugs are usually made out of 3 materials.
- Copper: The copper spark plugs are old school now and have a very short lifespan.
- Platinum: Platinum spark plugs are in the middle ground. They are average spark plugs that offer average improvements to your vehicle.
- iridium: The iridium spark plugs are the best and offer high-performance improvements, but they are a bit expensive.
If you have an old car ad still use, then the copper spark plug is the one to go for because the older models of cars work better with the copper components, whereas the newer and more improved models of cars use Iridium and platinum.
Iridium is the best spark plug material without a doubt, it has the longest lifespan and offers the best performance.
When to change your spark plugs
There are some signs which you might want to keep in mind. SO, how do we know when to change our spark plugs.
Here are some tips.
- All the plugs have a lifespan. Some last for 20000 miles and some last for 100000 miles, all of this depends on the material of the spark plug. Iridium and platinum have the longest lifespan.
- If you feel some sort of difficulty while starting your engine, it could be a giveaway that your spark plugs are worn out.
- If any weird and irregular sounds are coming from the engine
- If your vehicle constantly misfires.
- If your vehicle is getting poor acceleration and poor fuel efficiency, then it can also be because of the worn-out spark plug, and you need to change them as soon as possible.
How do you change and inspect spark plugs?
Inspecting spark plugs is very easy. You need to look at it carefully to see if they are worn out.
- If the spark plugs are not worn out, then they are safe to be installed back in the vehicle.
- If the spark plug is a bit dirty, then just wash it with a cloth and install it back in because sometimes the spark plug gets covered up in gasoline and can be cleaned up using a cloth.
- If the spark plug is not working properly, then it’s time to change it and replace it with a new one because a worn-out spark plug can cause some severe problems in the engine.
Hot and Cold Spark Plugs
Spark plugs are designed with two temperature tips. A cold plug works great in the summers as they have cooler tips and will help keep the engine cool. The hotplug has hot tips and helps keep the engine hot and running.
The hotplug will remain hot even if it’s cool air coming in, so it is advisable to use the hot plug-in the winters and the cool tip in the summers.
The spark is a small component, but it is very important. Without the spark plug, we can’t fire the ignition system, and the engine won’t start if there is any problem in the ignition system. The engine is the heart of a car and if the engine is not working the car is just dead weight. This shows the importance of a small spark plug which plays such a major role in the car.
The only you need to keep in mind when buying spark plugs is that thinner electrodes mean smoother and better performance.
And the best material provides the best performance, so if you have the money, then you should go for the premium products. They are kind of a long-term investment because of their longer lifespans and better performance.
Latest Update: October 19, 2020