When it comes to reviving your car or truck’s aesthetic and performance, upgrading your vehicle’s lighting system is often a wise first move to make.
Outdated, factory-grade incandescent bulbs become increasingly dim and lackluster over time, causing a decrease in both style and safety.
A growing number of drivers are looking to LED and HID auto light bulbs to refresh the look of their car or truck, while also boosting their vehicle’s performance and reliability in various road conditions.
If you’re interested in updating your auto lighting look with newer, more innovative auto light bulbs, consider the features offered by LED and HID bulbs in order to make the smartest choice for your particular vehicle and driving-related needs.
Luckily, LED and HID Conversion kits are available for most cars and trucks, making the transition almost effortless and easy for most drivers to do on their own.
When you’ve made your product pick, look for products labeled with “plug and play” installation, which typically signals a no-slicing-required, complication-free, streamlined switching process.
LED Bulbs: Light-Emitting Diodes
A key difference between LED and HID bulbs is their composition. LED bulbs work by transferring an energy current through a semi-conductor, which then emits photons to produce their bright, pure light.
LED bulbs are a popular pick for an array of reasons.
- In addition to offering a greatly improved shine and much longer-lasting lifespan than Halogen bulbs, LED bulbs are also highly energy-efficient.
- As far as life expectancy, LED bulbs last an average of up to 50,000 hours, which is over 50 times longer than the typical longevity of an incandescent auto light bulb. Longevity is hands-down the most desirable feature of LED light bulbs.
- Bulbs that use less energy put less strain on your vehicle, as well as needing to be purchased and replaced less often, adding to their desirability.
- In fact, for most drivers, LED bulbs’ lifespan is so lengthy that they’ll almost never need to be replaced. Of course, this varies based on the frequency and duration of your driving habits.
- Yet another benefit of opting for LED lights is that they are free of small or moving parts, making installation and hassle-free operation slightly more seamless than HID alternatives and outdated incandescent bulbs.
HID (High-Intensity Discharge) Bulbs: AKA Xenon Gas Headlights
HID bulbs, also known as Xenon lights, work by using a blend of Xenon gas and rare metals to produce an unmistakably bright, brilliant white light, so intense that it emits an almost bluish tint.
- HID bulbs are coveted for their ability to penetrate even the darkest environment, as well as giving a fresh, aftermarket look for most vehicles.
- A superior shine makes for a compelling choice when hitting the road in especially dark, foggy, rainy, or otherwise inclement weather conditions. Even the most experienced drivers appreciate optimal visibility to ensure the safest journey for all involved.
- Compared to their outdated Halogen bulb predecessors, HID bulbs project a shine that is up to three times brighter, leaving yellow, dull bulb picks in the past.
- Depending on the model, HID bulbs can last up to 10,000 operational hours, a definite improvement over older Halogen bulbs.
- Xenon gas bulbs are also more energy-efficient than older model bulbs, making them a longer-lasting and overall, more cost-effective pick.
- HID bulbs, first introduced by using on BMWs in the 1990s, have literally set the precedent for newly-developed light output—the most up-to-date safety regulations use the brightness standards set by HID bulbs as guidelines for new cars and truck bulbs.
- A sky-high price tag that used to seem like a detractor from buying HID bulbs has decreased, as the availability of these bulbs has become more prevalent. The current price is considered much more reasonable and attainable for drivers.
- Consumer concerns over the intense brightness generated by HID bulbs and the potential for casting a blinding glare onto oncoming traffic have led to innovative improvements in their design.
- Due to the level of brightness emitted by HID lights to cut through the darkness, which can sometimes be mistaken for high-beam headlights by other drivers, it is advised to always choose a reputable manufacturer for researching and purchasing the best, most trustworthy auto light bulb picks.
As with most choices in life, a well-informed decision is usually the best one to be made.
Now that you’ve thoroughly reviewed the key differences between both LED and HID auto light bulbs, carefully consider the features and benefits offered by each bulb type, aligning them with your personal car or truck lighting goals and preferences.
In doing so, you can easily determine the right product picks for proactively elevating your ride’s lighting look, longevity, and performance.
When it comes to upgrading the car lights, car owners trust Underground Lighting. The reliable online automotive lighting store has a wide range of HID lights and LED lights. Enjoy incredible prices, premium-quality products, and free shipping benefits on your order.
The pro team at Underground Lighting has everything you need. Reach out by phone, live chat, email to get started on your auto lighting upgrade journey with the skilled, knowledgeable professionals at Underground Lighting.