Trailer hitch or tow hitch is a device fastened with the automobile, which helps in pulling objects. A trailer hitch may consist of something like a tow ball to facilitate in rotating the trailer axle and articulation.
In this era, most cars are designed with an integrated trailer hitch. This quality enables the vehicles to drag a trailer as well as transport various well-built items at one moment.
You should not feel apologetic if there is not a trailer hitch in your car. If you wish for a trailer hitch on your car, you can install it by yourself, but it needs some particular expertise for this task.
Trailer Hitch Setup might be a quick as well as a satisfying task as far as you are ready suitably for every move. There is no doubt a hitch can improve the convenience and efficiency of your electric vehicle.
You can go a long way by possessing the perfect kit and understanding the proficiency for the job. That is a perfect time to incorporate a rearview camera so that there are no chances of any blunders.
The general installation of the tow hitch requires the following measures to assist you in the execution of installation speedily and efficiently. In this article, we will explore every step for hitch installation.
The given tips will assist you to rehearse your hitch installation procedure:
- Select a hitch that fits the requirements of the model of your automobile. Verify that the hitch must match with your desires.
- Check every direction carefully and ensure you have all equipment before you commence any move. It is because you do not mean that you skipped a little screw halfway in the activity.
- Scrutinize the place where the hitch will be attached. You must not fasten the hitch to such a framework that runs the risk of severe corrosion or deterioration.
- Keep in mind that your safety should be your priority. Make sure that the car is fully balanced while raising it and should not slide off when you are operating beneath it.
You must follow the instructions accurately, and do not skip anything at all. The use of devices should always be fully staged and concentrated on as well. Also, poorly paired connections can fail in the process of being impossible to complete.
Therefore, it is necessary to use safety goggles when drilling gaps. A piece of metal would go in your eye and ruin it all about you. Be cautious because you do not wish for an accident.
Steps for Trailer Hitch Installation
The steps involved in the trailer hitch installation are discussed in detail below:
As all this a complex task, if a person does not follow the principle instructions about dealing with the tools and stages, it will result in a mess. Remind yourself all the safety measures and then begin the task taking the below-mentioned points under consideration:
- Study the booklet and wisely choose the appropriate trailer hitch for your automobile, keeping the model and brand of your vehicle in mind.
- Read the instructions again and again, and you will not miss any step.
- If there is a minor chance of too much destruction to the place where you want to install the hitch, do not ever think to install it. Rusty places can make the scenario more damaging and vulnerable.
- Ensure to place the jack stands to lock the vehicle in its position when you begin operating beneath it.
- Before you put the hitch together, be confident that you can assemble it.
- The handbook also guides you on how to deal with various tools needed during the preparation of trailer hitch installation.
- Be smart and make a tool list you need during the process. You can also check your toolkit to know whether the tools you require are there or not. If you lack any tool, then purchase it.
- The general tools used in this procedure are socket set, ratchet, ratchet extension, torque wrench, swivel socket, box wrench set, safety glasses, shop light, work gloves, hydraulic jack, Torx bits, die grinder, wheel chocks, and jack stands, carbide drill bits, tape measure, paint pen, screwdriver, pry bar power drill, cutting lubricant, and trim tool.
- Park the vehicle on a smooth surface and stabilize it so that you can efficiently work beneath it.
- Raise the back end of the automobile so that you can work freely in more significant space under the car. While lifting your car, take the help of jack stands to uplift it stably.
- It is suggested to read the guide book first because there are a few trailer hitches that don’t need uplifting. When facing such a situation, place the wheel wedges on the front wheels of the car, so there is no risk of moving or rolling of the vehicle.
Brighten Your Car Base
- The base of the vehicle is darker as compared to outside. There is a possibility that you cannot see the screws, pipes, and other parts you need to take off. Resultantly you will be unable to go along the manual instructions.
- Therefore, there must be a need to brighten the area where you are working using a shop light. While installing the hitch by yourself, you need to remove specific objects, and the light will aid you in the removal of those specific items.
Remove the Spare Tire of Car
- The spare tire can cause a problem when working under the vehicle, so it is necessary to take it off while following the precise directions.
- At this point, one needs to bring the exhaust down because it is required in the tow hitch installation.
Removal of Every Hurdle in Trailer Hitch Installation
- The removal of nuts, bolts, and everything which can be a hurdle in the trailer installation is essential. While a few cars need the removal and trimming of panels and heat shields only.
- Ensure to use the drill in a proper way that the holes are of appropriate size or else the car will not be safe with a tow hitch.
- Fasten the tow hitch in its position using the locks and handle it like a template. Next, utilize the trailer hitch holes as directed in the booklet.
- Then, the next step is the cleaning of holes using the lubricant and screwdriver by taking out the template.
Trailer Hitch Installation
- Most of the tow hitches are heavyweight and weigh roundabout 50 pounds. It is advisory to have a person with you who can help you in setting the trailer hitch beneath the vehicle.
- Always remember to fix the tow hitch following the guidelines of the booklet. Never try to put it at any place underneath the car.
- Use the nuts and bolts to tighten the trailer so that the trailer hitch is fixed in position. There is no need to fear about the loose screws. At this point, focus on the trailer hitch fixation.
Place Everything in Position
- The final step of this process is to use a torque wrench to strengthen the screws. Follow the directions to apply the exact amount of force.
- Remember that applying inappropriate force can result in tragic outcomes. If the bolt is too loose, the trailer hitch may fall off, and if too severe, the trailer hitch may turn or become smashed.
- As soon as you fasten the trailer hitch, you can change its various parts with other auto parts. When you can’t replace the fractions, leave them.
Today in the market, there is a distinct diversity of tow hitch that can match your needs and benefit your automobile. It is suggested to spend a day to acquire the best tow hitch with all the tools for the automobile.
Begin your work by following the guidelines mentioned above. You will be able to save money and complete the hectic activity of a tow hitch installation at the end of the day on your own.